Speaker scraps junkets
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
06th September 2012 08:56 AM
Heeding the public outcry, Speaker K G Bopaiah on Wednesday put the brakes on the legislators’ foreign jaunts. According to Assembly secretariat sources, Bopaiah, on Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar’s directions, ordered the cancellation of legislators’ foreign tours in the wake of the drought.
However, members of Public Undertakings Committee, who are already in South America, have decided to continue their tour despite the Chief Minister asking them to return, sources said.
With the Speaker’s order, the scheduled trip of the members of the Petition and House Committees to Russia, Egypt, Israel and a few Scandinavian countries on September 27 is expected to be cancelled.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Key relationships
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Hope floats for Nokia
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes