SI shoots at, nabs chain snatcher
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
23rd January 2013 08:27 AM
Police opened fire at a notorious chain snatcher and arrested him on Tuesday. This is the third incident in the last six days in which the police shot at miscreants who tried to attack them and escape.
Kumaraswamy Layout station’s sub-inspector Ashok Kumar A N, shot at notorious chain snatcher and extortionist Mohammed Dastagir alias Dastu, 22, who resides behind Banashankari temple in Sarabandepalya. Abhijit M G , a constable attached to the same police station, sustained injuries in the incident.
Police said Dastu was wanted in an attempt to murder case reported on Sunday in Kumaraswamy Layout police station limits and police received a credible information that he was hiding in an under-construction building at J C Industrial Area in Yelachenahalli. Sub-inspector Ashok, along with constable Abhijit, who were on night duty, went to the building to arrest him around 3.30 am on Tuesday.
On seeing them, Dastu allegedly attacked Abhijit with a dagger and the latter sustained injuries on his hands.
Despite warning, Dastu allegedly tried to attack the sub-inspector also. To ensure his and his subordinate’s safety, the sub-inspector opened fire from his service pistol and the bullet struck into the left thigh of Dastu. “Later, Dastu and the injured constable were shifted to hospitals. Dastu is involved in over 15 cases of extortion, chain snatching, house burglary and other cases from last three years,” the police added.
A case has been registered at Kumaraswamy Layout police station in this connection.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs