Walk over all the garbage here
By Nivedita K G | ENS - BANGALORE
23rd January 2013 07:53 AM
Siddaiah Road is a classic example of the prevalence of encroachment in the city and the inability of the concerned authorities to curb it.
Many garages have occupied the footpaths on either side of the road, while under-repair vehicles are parked on the footpath forcing the pedestrians to walk on the road.
Taking a walking down the footpath, one can find Neha Helmets, Hussain Auto Engineering works and several other shops restricting the pedestrians.
Speaking about the condition of footpath here, Vanitha C S, a regular visitor said, “We have to put our lives in jeopardy while walking on the roads. If we inform these shopkeepers, we get a very rude response that ‘this is a public property and no one has claim over it’. This has been the scenario here for years. But no action has been taken by the corporators nor the other elected representatives.”
The footpath has also become the dump yard for garbage. “The problem of the dumping garbage on this footpath started a year ago. We, the residents of this locality, have repeatedly complained to the corporator, but in vain,” said Ramesh Kumar, a resident.
Adding to their woes, the dry waste segregation by the rag pickers is undertaken here.
The corporator was not available for any comments.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- CM can go his way: Ramesh Chennithala
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Knowledge and faith
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online