Capturing moments in black and white
By Express Features - BANGALORE
06th December 2012 09:58 AM
Catch an exhibition of iconic black and white photographs by one of India’s noted photographers, Raghu Rai, as a part of Tasveer’s seventh season of exhibitions.
Raghu Rai was originally trained as a civil engineer, before taking up photography at the age
of 23, in 1965. A year later, he joined the New Delhi based national weekly magazine as their chief photographer, moving on after 10 years to become the picture editor with a prestigious Kolkata based weekly. In 1977, he returned to New Delhi to become the picture editor, as well as its active photographer, for a leading national weekly. Henri Cartier-Bresson saw an exhibition of Rai’s in Paris at the Galerie Delpire in 1971, and was sufficiently impressed to nominate him to a reputed photo agency.
In the same year he was honoured by the Indian Government with the Padmashree Award-approximately India’s equivalent to a knighthood. Unlike many photographers, Raghu Rai has deliberately remained focused on the universality of Indian life and its many cultures.
This exhibition has been selected from his wide-ranging photographic oeuvre, to focus on his work in the photography of the street and other public spaces.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15