‘Change approach towards contractors’
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
19th November 2012 12:38 PM
At a time when contractors are often blamed for the delays in completion of civic and other projects, project management guru Adesh Jain said that India’s biggest challenge was the apathetic approach towards contractors.
Jain, who is the national president of Project Management Associates India, delivered the 31st Indian Institute of Science Alumni Association popular science lecture here on Saturday.
“The way we treat contractors is against the project management ethics. It does little to improve cohesion among stakeholders, and contractors are also stakeholders,” Jain said. Jain started his talk by showing the audience a clip of the landing of National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Curiosity rover on Mars, following which scientists and general public were seen rejoicing over its success.
“Curiosity’s landing is a perfect example of effective project management. There was social bias. Similarly, all stakeholders have to be taken into confidence by motivating them to deliver results. We must respect the dignity of labour,” he said.
Jain said that by 2021, delivery management will be the key for societies to flourish. Speaking chronologically, he said that project management formed a very little part of general management in 1991. In 2001, he said project management had grown to become a discipline in itself.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling