Yaaruku: A suspense-thriller at its best
By Malini Mannath
17th November 2012 10:07 AM
With an assorted cast of actors from various languages, this film revolves around a motley group of characters who find themselves trapped in a factory with no way out.
A trilingual, the film has been made in Tamil, Malayalam (120 minutes) and Kannada (Challenge which was released a few months ago). The movie is about five men and a woman who wake up in a deserted factory.
Suffering from amnesia, the group soon realises that they have forgotten their identities. However, it is a little hard to fathom that all of them suffer from memory loss and that none of them seem to be carrying any sort of identity on them. With no memories of how they came to be there, nor of how each was related to the other, they soon become wary of one another.
While one seemed to be tied to a chair, other was with a gun. Repeated orders from an anonymous caller on the phone suggesting that a couple of hostages will soon be killed confounds the situation further.
The group has no clue as to who the hostages or kidnappers are. At times, the scenario turns verbal and tiring, and the characters soon indulge in too many petty arguments.
On the other hand, a cop and a business tycoon are seen on the other side of the track searching for the latter’s missing son-in-law.
In the later half of the film, the narration shuttles between the past and present. Soon all the missing pieces of the puzzle emerge and the mystery is unravelled.
Well, the movie is a rip-off of the English film ‘Unknown’ (which was released in 2006 and rehashed in Hindi as ‘Acid Factory’). Here, the director has stayed largely faithful to the original script.
The plot opens promisingly, intriguing and suspensefilled. Edgy and gritty as the narration proceeds, it delves into friendship, betrayal, greed and callousness. But the characters are too many and the numerous sub-plots linking them at times seem contrived.
Among the actors Achyuth kumar as Soori and Harishraj as Basha deserve special mention.
Verdict: The film is an action-suspense thriller and a must watch for hardcore lovers of the genre.
Film: Yaaruku Theriyum Director: Ganesan Kamaraj Cast: kalabhavan Mani, Jayaprakash, Achyuth Kumar, Harishraj, Nishan, Dilipraj, Dharma, Sanjana Singh
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion