Two walkathons today promoting noble cause
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
17th November 2012 10:36 AM
If you are looking for reasons to take the first step towards getting fit and also to involve yourself in a social cause, today might just be the ideal day.
Two walkathons will be held in the city today, to spread awareness on diabetes and commemorate World Disability Day respectively.
With the objective to raise awareness about diabetes, 'Beat Diabetes Walkathon' is being held, starting from Kanteerava Stadium through Cubbon Park and back to the stadium.
The first ever 'Beat Diabetes Walkathon' in India was organised in Bangalore in 2010.
Now in its third edition, the walkathon has become an annual event to raise awareness about diabetes.
At a launch event, Kannada actors Sumalatha Ambarish, Sanjana and Vinayak Joshi were seen extending their support for the cause by taking free glucose screening tests along with Kabir Lumba, MD of the company organising the event.
In a press release issued on Friday by the organisers, Kabir Lumba said, “India continues be home to a high number of people affected by diabetes.
We recognise that awareness is the first step in the battle against diabetes.
With this objective, the 'Beat Diabetes' initiative works towards making people alert about the growing diabetes epidemic and encouraging people to embrace healthy eating habits, exercise every day and additionally, get regularly tested for the condition.
” Another walkathon will be held today by an NGO, Samarthanam and the funds raised through this will be used for the aid of 'T-20 World Cup for the Blind'.
The walkathon will start from Sri Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium and is open to the general public.
More than 10,000 participants from various walks of life including celebrities from the film industry, former Indian cricketers, other NGO’s, people from MNCs and around 5000 disabled participants are expected to walk for the social cause.
One of the organisers of the event, Kishore Joseph said, "Its an annual affair and this is the eighth year of the event.
We conduct this walkathon to commemorate World Disability Day."
* Walkathon in aid of ‘T-20 World Cup for the Blind’ Where: Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium, Near Cosmopolitan Club, Jayanagar 3rd Block When: Today (3pm) * Beat Walkathon Diabetes-Third edition’ Where: Kanteerava Stadium to Cubbon Park When: Today (7am)
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- CCTV must for BPUT exam centres