Where heaven and earth meet
By Sangeeta Bora - BANGALORE
01st November 2012 11:06 AM
A visit to Kerala is worth talking about and you will cherish the memories for your lifetime. Talking about Kerala, the first thing that strikes one’s mind is backwaters and Alleppey is the place to be to enjoy the serene beauty and calmness.
There are two ways to enjoy the backwaters, option one, you can start from Main Boat Jetty and hire a boat for two hours which will take you to the backwaters and small villages in Alleppey.
Thereby, exposing you to the natural beauty that Kerala boasts of. Other option is to hire a boat house which will be like a cruise though little canals of various villages. You will be accompanied by two boat men and a guide.
The cost of the boat house starts from Rs 7000 to Rs 15,000. The boat house has a proper bedroom, a posh bathroom and a lounge.
However, it will halt at the parking slot after 5 pm as fishermen start their business at that time. As you travel in the boat house you will be welcomed with chirping birds on coconut trees.
When we talk about Kerala, it will be unfair if we do not mention the famous delicacies. The boat houses are also provide you with a complete culinary experience.
Apart from a traditional Kerala lunch, you can also munch on dishes like fish fry, prawns fry and crab fry.
In the evening, you can visit the famous Alleppey beach. This is one of most visited beaches in South India — the reason being its calmness and secluded atmosphere. Although, the favourite time to visit the beach is in the evening but if you are a peace lover, you would love visiting the beach in the afternoon as hardly any soul will be seen during that time.
When you are at Alleppey beach, do not forget to munch on some of the best street food near the beach.
Apart from boat houses, there are many luxurious resorts near the back waters. Alleppey is favourable to visit all throughout the year. Commuting is not an issue here as there are buses and train connectivity from Bangalore.
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Farmer gets wise, beats drought with micro-irrigation
- Translation to go hi-tech; C-DAC to launch ‘Translator’
- Hurdles galore as UPA walks road to Ballot 2014
- BJP's post-Karnataka gloom: Neither united nor untainted
- Hit by chit fund scam Mamata faces biggest challenge in 2 years
- Key relationships
- Car makers run into diesel dilemma
- Western Ghats: Gadgil’s missive to Kasturirangan opens fresh debate
- Jaya expresses grief over pontiff's death
- Siddaramaiah has his way with team
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- NEET 2013: CBSE gaffe leaves students in a fix