Pottekatt's masterpiece staged
By Express News Service - BANGALORE
30th October 2012 12:01 PM
The East Cultural Association's (ECA) Sahitya Vedi staged a play based on the novel ‘Oru Deshathinte Kadha’ (The story of a country), written by renowned author S K Pottekatt.
Pottekkatt, whose travelogues are considered to be masterpieces in Malayalam literature, finally wrote this autobiographical magnum opus in 1971.
The novel won the prestigious Jnanpith Award in 1980 and also the Sahitya Academy award. The story revolves around the initial 20 years of the protoganist Sridharan's life in the Malabar village called 'Athiranippadam' and depicts hundreds of characters right from the late 19th century till mid 20th century. The detail with which each character is described is astonishing.
The novel also narrates some of the important historic events which occurred during this period that had an impact on the day-to-day life of Athiranipadam. Of them, Mappila Rebellion, Independence Movement and migration of people from Travancore to Malabar has been elaborated in detail.
Though talks by eminent literary figures, like U K Kumaran, formed part of the programme, it was the stage enactments of some of the unforgettable scenes from the novel that stole the show. The audience were taken by surprise when some of the scenes were enacted in the midst of them.
The play directed by Mahesh K Narayanan had Deepak Damodaran, Nikhil Gopalakrishnan, Prahladan, Sooraj Suredran, Arun Kumar, Sanju Kumar, Ashok Kumar, Mahesh K Narayanan and Adhish as it’s cast. The programme was followed by Edakka performance by Hari Govindan.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs