M&M set to launch utility vehicle Quanto
By ENS Economic Bureau - NEW DELHI
07th September 2012 10:12 AM
India’s auto major Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) is likely to launch its compact multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) Quanto on September 20.
“The company is expecting volumes to be around 1,500 to 2, 000 units per month to start with. Capacity won’t be a constraint because it could come up on the same line as Scorpio and Xylo. We will have flexibility on what we can produce. It is very unlikely that we will run out of capacity,” M&M president, Automotive and Farm Equipment sectors Pawan Goenka said on the sidelines of SIAM meet.
When asked about the pricing of the Quanto, Goenka said, “I cannot say now but expectation should be realistic as it is not a small hatchback. It is after all a sports utility vehicle (SUV).”
Trade analysts, who refer to the yet to be launched Quanto as the mini Xylo without putting a number to it, expect the pricing of the vehicle to be very competitive as it would be competing in a already very crowded market.
Regarding M&M’s foray into Russian markets, Goenka said a decision would be taken in the next six months, but the launch of its vehicle would take place in the next two years.
He said the company is discussing different aspects regarding its Russia launch and added, “We are studying the market as to whether we should start with a manufacturing facility or by selling the vehicles as completely built unit (CBU).”
About the XUV 500 model, he said the company has pending order of 15,000 units which would be cleared by November.
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
- A mobile phone for Kerala CM, finally
- India becomes Kenya's largest Asian trading partner
- Pakistan's Punjab government allocates millions for JuD centre
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: High Court
- Underworld has betting syndicates in vice-like grip
- NCRB report: 1,316 juveniles booked for rape last year
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Now pay less for roaming calls, texts
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 73 dead, over 71,000 stranded as rains batter Uttarakhand, UP
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Wedlock valid only if consummated: HC
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15