Mukesh Ambani 18th richest man in world
By ENS Economic Bureau - HYDERABAD
04th January 2013 09:51 AM
Business tycoon Mukesh Ambani jumped a step above to rank as the 18th richest person in the world with a personal wealth of $24.7 billion in 2012, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index -- a daily ranking of the world’s 100 wealthiest individuals. Last year, he was ranked 19th richest person in the world with a personal wealth of $21 billion.
The 55-year-old Ambani, Chairman & MD, Reliance Industries, also retained his position as the world’s richest Indian for the sixth year in a row.
The world’s top 100 billionaires got even richer in 2012, with their total wealth rising by around 15 per cent to $1.81 trillion, it said.
Mexican telecommunications magnate Carlos Slim remained the world’s richest person last year holding a personal fortune of more than $70 billion, it said. Microsoft founder Bill Gates and the founder of fashion retailer Zara, Amancio Ortega, rounded out the top three spots, with wealth estimated just over and just under $60 billion, respectively.
Renowned investor Warren Buffett slipped to fourth place, but added around $5 billion to his fortune over the year despite donating a substantial amount to charity last year.
IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad saw his net worth rising 16.6% to approximately $40 billion, putting him in fifth place on Bloomberg’s billionaire index.
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs