Sensex edges higher; Jindal, Hindalco, Sterlite rally
08th August 2012 12:18 PM
Indian equities continue to trade on a flat note with positive bias amid volatility. All sectoral indices are trading mixed with metal and auto gaining the most.At 11.54 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 48.20 points or 0.27% at 17,649.98 with 19 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 21.00 points or 0.39% at 5,357.70 with 33 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 36.75 points or 0.21% at 17,638.53, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 8.55 points or 0.16%, at 5,345.25.
Reliance Industries contributed rise of 15.3 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Infosys (14.07 points), Tata Motors (9.87 points), Mahindra & Mahindra (7.1 points) and Hindustan Unilever (6.75 points).
However, Oil & Natural Gas Corporation contributed fall of 12.34 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Bharti Airtel (11.35 points), Tata Consultancy Services (8.08 points), H D F C Bank (4.25 points) and I C I C I Bank (3.77 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Jindal Steel & Power (3.01%), Hindalco Industries (2.57%), Sterlite Industries (India) (2.40%), Tata Motors (1.95%), Mahindra & Mahindra (1.85%), and Tata Steel (1.55%).
On the other hand, Bharti Airtel (2.38%), G A I L (India) (2.28%), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (1.70%), Tata Consultancy Services (0.92%), Maruti Suzuki India (0.60%), and Dr Reddy"S Laboratories (0.48%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Midcap and Smallcap index rose 0.42% and 0.38% respectively.
Sectors in Limelight
The Metal index was at 10,554.90, up by 193.57 points or by 1.87%. The major gainers were Jindal Steel & Power (3.01%), Hindalco Industries (2.57%), Hindustan Zinc (1.72%), Coal India (0.84%) and Bhushan Steel (0.17%).
The Auto index was at 9,428.86, up by 100.15 points or by 1.07%. The major gainers were Cummins India (3.16%), Mahindra & Mahindra (1.85%), Bharat Forge (1.15%), Hero Motocorp (0.41%) and Bajaj Auto (0.37%).
The IPO index was at 1,482.90, up by 11.22 points or by 0.76%. The major gainers were Bajaj Corp (5.8%), Ashoka Buildcon (3.01%), Career Point (2.6%), Bedmutha Industries (0.73%) and BS TransComm (0.1%).
On the other hand, the Realty index was at 1,675.86, down by 8.17 points or by 0.49%. The major losers were Indiabulls Real Estate (2.96%), Sobha Developers (1.35%), D L F (0.39%), Housing Development and Infrastructure (0.3%) and Phoenix Mills (0.27%).
Market breadth was negative with 1,277 advances against 1,188 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Indiabulls Financial Services topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 664.16 million. It was followed by Indiabulls Real Estate (Rs. 385.80 million), State Bank Of India (Rs. 382.53 million) and Bharti Airtel (Rs. 307.45 million).
The volume chart was led by Indiabulls Real Estate with trades of over 7.13 million shares. It was followed by Indiabulls Infrastructure and Power (5.92 million), Indiabulls Financial Services (3.22 million) and Kingfisher Airlines (3.00 million).
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- 60 killed in Nigerian village attacks