Sensex above 19,000; Realty, IT rise
05th March 2013 11:18 AM
Indian markets gained on Tuesday snapping earlier losses. At 10.09 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 129.26 points or 0.68% at 19,007.22 with 21 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 37.95 points or 0.67% at 5,736.45 with 34 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 65.66 points or 0.35% at 18,943.62, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 23.95 points or 0.42%, at 5,722.45.
I C I C I Bank contributed rise of 33.83 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Reliance Industries (28.19 points), Infosys (18.38 points), Tata Motors (17.28 points) and Tata Consultancy Services (12.66 points).
However, Tata Steel contributed fall of 10.99 points in the Sensex. It was followed by H D F C Bank (5.44 points), Bharti Airtel (4.03 points), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (1.79 points) and NTPC (1.17 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Motors (2.67%), I C I C I Bank (2.35%), Reliance Industries (1.66%), Maruti Suzuki India (1.48%), Wipro (1.34%), and Tata Consultancy Services (1.22%).
On the other hand, Tata Steel (4.02%), Bajaj Auto (1.16%), Bharti Airtel (0.82%), Hero Motocorp (0.43%), NTPC (0.40%), and H D F C Bank (0.39%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The Realty index was at 1,915.08, up by 27.13 points or by 1.44%. The major gainers were Indiabulls Real Estate (1.9%), D L F (1.89%), Anant Raj (1.48%), Housing Development and Infrastructure (0.77%) and Godrej Properties (0.7%).
The IT index was at 6,834.03, up by 80.65 points or by 1.19%. The major gainers were H C L Technologies (2.03%), Mphasis (1.31%), Infosys (1.1%), Tech Mahindra (0.49%) and Oracle Financial Services Software (0.4%).
The TECk index was at 3,918.51, up by 32.48 points or by 0.84%. The major gainers were Dish TV India (1.69%), Mphasis (1.31%), Reliance MediaWorks (0.46%), Oracle Financial Services Software (0.4%) and Idea Cellular (0.35%).
On the other hand, the Consumer Durables index was at 7,230.74, down by 11.94 points or by 0.16%. The major losers were Titan Industries (1.44%) and Bajaj Electricals (0.19%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,182 advances against 746 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Adani Power topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 348.12 million. It was followed by United Spirits (Rs. 147.80 million), NHPC (Rs. 91.08 million) and Jet Airways (India) (Rs. 86.44 million).
The volume chart was led by Sybly Industries with trades of over 10.01 million shares. It was followed by Adani Power (7.68 million), NHPC (4.53 million) and Suzlon Energy (1.15 million).
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Experts push for blanket ban on tobacco promotion
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days