Reliance drives Sensex higher
20th February 2013 11:18 AM
Indian markets continued to gain on Wednesday. At 10.19 am, the Sensex was trading up 58.52 points or 0.30% at 19,694.24 with 18 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 16.25 points or 0.27% at 5,955.95 with 32 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 82.22 points or 0.42% at 19,717.94, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 26.60 points or 0.45%, at 5,966.30.
Reliance Industries contributed rise of 38.07 points in the Sensex. It was followed by H D F C Bank (10.97 points), Tata Consultancy Services (7.05 points), I T C (5.89 points) and Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (3.97 points).
However, Bharti Airtel contributed fall of 4.8 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Hindustan Unilever (3.73 points), I C I C I Bank (3.61 points), Tata Motors (3.46 points) and Maruti Suzuki India (3.11 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Reliance Industries (2.13%), Wipro (0.94%), Hero Motocorp (0.85%), H D F C Bank (0.72%), Tata Consultancy Services (0.70%), and Coal India (0.68%).
On the other hand, Maruti Suzuki India (1.22%), Bharti Airtel (0.96%), Hindustan Unilever (0.63%), NTPC (0.62%), Bharat Heavy Electricals (0.54%), and Cipla (0.52%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The Oil & Gas index was at 9,141.74, up by 124.89 points or by 1.39%. The major gainers were Bharat Petroleum Corporation (2.07%), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (2.04%), Castrol India (0.4%), G A I L (India) (0.13%) and Cairn India (0.05%).
The Realty index was at 2,138.29, up by 19.96 points or by 0.94%. The major gainers were Indiabulls Real Estate (1.89%), Housing Development and Infrastructure (1.19%), D L F (1.11%), Anant Raj (1.06%) and Godrej Properties (0.41%).
The IT index was at 6,588.78, up by 36.29 points or by 0.55%. The major gainers were Tech Mahindra (2.67%), Mphasis (1.52%), H C L Technologies (1.19%), Hexaware Technologies (1.17%) and Oracle Financial Services Software (0.71%).
On the other hand, the Consumer Durables index was at 7,218.82, down by 25.3 points or by 0.35%. The major losers were Titan Industries (0.89%), Symphony (0.15%), Rajesh Exports (0.04%) and Gitanjali Gems (0.04%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,255 advances against 684 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Sonata Software topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 187.73 million. It was followed by United Spirits (Rs. 145.46 million), Reliance Industries (Rs. 120.24 million) and State Bank Of India (Rs. 115.69 million).
The volume chart was led by Sonata Software with trades of over 7.02 million shares. It was followed by Dhanus Technologies (3.45 million), Suzlon Energy (1.62 million) and Spicejet (0.97 million).
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling