Sensex trades firm; Tata Motors, TCS rise
13th February 2013 12:18 PM
Indian markets continued to rise as the day progressed led by buying seen in IT, technology and realty stocks. At 11.47 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 146.38 points or 0.75% at 19,707.42 with 19 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 41.05 points or 0.69% at 5,963.55 with 31 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 40.65 points or 0.21% at 19,601.69, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 20.65 points or 0.35%, at 5,943.15.
Housing Development Finance Corporation contributed rise of 25.52 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Infosys (22.32 points), I C I C I Bank (20.47 points), Tata Consultancy Services (19.58 points) and Reliance Industries (19.44 points).
However, Hindustan Unilever contributed fall of 3.98 points in the Sensex. It was followed by H D F C Bank (3.52 points), Maruti Suzuki India (1.46 points), Tata Power Company (1.18 points) and Grasim Industries (1.1 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Motors (2.45%), Tata Consultancy Services (1.97%), Bharti Airtel (1.76%), Housing Development Finance Corporation (1.72%), Infosys (1.38%), and Mahindra & Mahindra (1.37%).
On the other hand, Dr Reddy'S Laboratories (1.24%), Bajaj Auto (1.02%), Hindustan Unilever (0.68%), Tata Power Company (0.62%), Maruti Suzuki India (0.53%), and Hero Motocorp (0.29%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Midcap and Smallcap index rose 0.83% and 0.63% respectively.
Sectors in Limelight
The IT index was at 6,510.52, up by 95.35 points or by 1.49%. The major gainers were H C L Technologies (3.49%), Mahindra Satyam (1.38%), Infosys (1.38%), Hexaware Technologies (1.07%) and Tech Mahindra (0.92%).
The TECk index was at 3,824.50, up by 53.50 points or by 1.42%. The major gainers were Bharti Airtel (1.76%), Idea Cellular (1.13%), D B Corp (1.11%), Dish TV India (1.04%) and Reliance MediaWorks (0.87%).
The Realty index was at 2,114.68, up by 28.35 points or by 1.36%. The major gainers were Anant Raj (7.46%), Oberoi Realty (2.42%), Godrej Properties (1.55%), Indiabulls Real Estate (1.53%) and Housing Development and Infrastructure (0.5%).
On the other hand, the FMCG index was at 5,804.68, down by 13.22 points or by 0.23%. The major losers were United Breweries (3.14%), Jubilant FoodWorks (1.02%), Dabur India (0.71%), Hindustan Unilever (0.68%) and I T C (0.02%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,452 advances against 994 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
State Bank Of India topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 271.14 million. It was followed by Unitech (Rs. 235.02 million), United Spirits (Rs. 222.58 million) and Jet Airways (India) (Rs. 187.13 million).
The volume chart was led by Unitech with trades of over 7.87 million shares. It was followed by Kingfisher Airlines (3.80 million), Lanco Infratech (2.13 million) and Cals Refineries (1.92 million).
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Kalabhavan Mani missing after assaulting forest staff
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode