Sensex up 152 pts; HDFC, TCS, Tata Motors rise
13th February 2013 11:18 AM
Indian equities continued to rise for the second day on Wednesday. At 10.18 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 151.45 points or 0.77% at 19,712.49 with 19 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 44.25 points or 0.75% at 5,966.75 with 34 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 40.65 points or 0.21% at 19,601.69, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 20.65 points or 0.35%, at 5,943.15.
Housing Development Finance Corporation contributed rise of 27.47 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Tata Consultancy Services (19.55 points), Tata Motors (19.45 points), I C I C I Bank (17.11 points) and Reliance Industries (12.23 points).
However, Hindustan Unilever contributed fall of 3.48 points in the Sensex. It was followed by H D F C Bank (3.3 points), Tata Power Company (0.69 points), Hero Motocorp (0.67 points) and I T C (0.33 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Motors (3.02%), Tata Consultancy Services (1.96%), Bharti Airtel (1.93%), Housing Development Finance Corporation (1.86%), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (1.45%), and Mahindra & Mahindra (1.34%).
On the other hand, Jindal Steel & Power (0.82%), Hindustan Unilever (0.60%), Tata Power Company (0.36%), Hero Motocorp (0.33%), H D F C Bank (0.23%), and Bajaj Auto (0.22%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
Sectors in Limelight
The Auto index was at 11,058.85, up by 134.78 points or by 1.23%. The major gainers were Bharat Forge (2.19%), Ashok Leyland (1.5%), Mahindra & Mahindra (1.34%), Exide Industries (0.54%) and Cummins India (0.35%).
The TECk index was at 3,815.17, up by 44.17 points or by 1.17%. The major gainers were Idea Cellular (2.35%), Bharti Airtel (1.93%), Dish TV India (1.24%), Reliance MediaWorks (0.87%) and D B Corp (0.81%).
The IT index was at 6,486.04, up by 70.87 points or by 1.10%. The major gainers were H C L Technologies (2.9%), Mahindra Satyam (1.64%), Hexaware Technologies (1.01%), Tech Mahindra (0.98%) and Infosys (0.64%).
On the other hand, the FMCG index was at 5,808.91, down by 8.99 points or by 0.15%. The major losers were United Breweries (2.13%), Jubilant FoodWorks (1.21%), Hindustan Unilever (0.6%), Dabur India (0.19%) and I T C (0.02%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,267 advances against 713 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
State Bank Of India topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 186.70 million. It was followed by United Spirits (Rs. 155.63 million), Unitech (Rs. 147.33 million) and Karnataka Bank , The (Rs. 84.46 million).
The volume chart was led by Unitech with trades of over 4.93 million shares. It was followed by Kingfisher Airlines (2.24 million), Lanco Infratech (1.13 million) and Suzlon Energy (0.89 million).
- Japan support sought for Vision 2023
- Rahul aide to pick Nellore MP candidate
- Kerala: PSC guidelines put candidates in a fix
- Dead son's education loan: Bank seeks its pound of flesh
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Tata Motors unveils 8 upgraded models of passenger vehicles
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha