Sensex falls 54 pts in early trade
07th February 2013 10:18 AM
Indian equities drop in early trade on Thursday. At 09.18 a.m., the Sensex was trading down 53.98 points or 0.27% at 19,585.74 with 24 components falling. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading lower by 22.75 points or 0.38% at 5,936.45 with 37 components falling.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a decline of 50.28 points or 0.26% at 19,589.44, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a fall of 22.75 points or 0.38%, at 5,936.45.
I T C contributed fall of 11.42 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Larsen & Toubro (8.95 points), I C I C I Bank (6.55 points), H D F C Bank (5.74 points) and NTPC (5.05 points).
However, Infosys contributed rise of 5.82 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Tata Motors (3.84 points), Mahindra & Mahindra (2.96 points), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (1.3 points) and Grasim Industries (1.02 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Mahindra & Mahindra (0.62%), Tata Motors (0.61%), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.37%), Infosys (0.37%), Bharat Heavy Electricals (0.36%), and Wipro (0.21%).
On the other hand, Cipla (1.73%), NTPC (1.67%), Larsen & Toubro (0.90%), Hero Motocorp (0.78%), Jindal Steel & Power (0.77%), and Sterlite Industries (India) (0.74%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Midcap index was at 6859.19 down by 6.11 points or by 0.09%.The major losers were Anant Raj (1.41%), Allahabad Bank (0.95%), CORE Education and Technologies (0.75%), Amara Raja Batteries (0.38%) and Aban Offshore (0.33%).
Sectors in Limelight
The Capital Goods index was at 10,184.02, down by 49.26 points or by 0.48%. The major losers were Larsen & Toubro (0.9%), Punj Lloyd (0.59%), Praj Industries (0.23%), Crompton Greaves (0.1%) and Alstom T&D India (0.08%).
The Metal index was at 10,316.28, down by 44.17 points or by 0.43%. The major losers were Jindal Steel & Power (0.77%), Hindustan Zinc (0.59%), Coal India (0.47%), Hindalco Industries (0.44%) and NMDC (0.33%).
The Power index was at 1,894.98, down by 7.17 points or by 0.38%. The major losers were NTPC (1.67%), Reliance Infrastructure (0.81%), Lanco Infratech (0.54%), G M R Infrastructure (0.51%) and Crompton Greaves (0.1%).
On the other hand, the IT index was at 6,402.60, up by 20.96 points or by 0.33%. The major gainers were Hexaware Technologies (2.19%), Mahindra Satyam (2.02%), Tech Mahindra (1.52%), Infosys (0.37%) and H C L Technologies (0.03%).
Market breadth was positive with 359 advances against 299 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Container Corporation Of India topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 166.26 million. It was followed by S M L Isuzu (Rs. 24.64 million), Jubilant FoodWorks (Rs. 23.43 million) and Cipla (Rs. 18.63 million).
The volume chart was led by Manappuram Finance with trades of over 0.39 million shares. It was followed by Suzlon Energy (0.37 million), Container Corporation Of India (0.18 million) and Hinduja Foundries (0.17 million).
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15