Sensex ends down 110 points; ICICI, HDFC Bank, RIL drag
31st January 2013 05:18 PM
Indian equities ended lower with Sensex slipping below 20,000 on expiry day. Gains in realty and PSU were offset by losses in banking, oil & gas and IT sectors. At the close, the benchmark 30-share index, BSE Sensex lost 110.02 pointsor 0.55% at 19,894.98 with 19 components registering drop. Meanwhile, the broad based NSE Nifty went down by 21 pointsor 0.35% at 6,034.75 with 29 components registering drop. Sensex Movers
ICICI Bank contributed fall of 30.37 points in the Sensex. It was followed by HDFC Bank (27.36 points), Reliance Industries (26.28 points), Housing Development Finance Corporation (19.8 points) and Larsen & Toubro (13.98 points).
However, ITC contributed rise of 24.08 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Bharat Heavy Electricals (5.4 points), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (3.98 points), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (3.77 points) and Hero Motocorp (2.69 points).Major gainers in the 30-share index were Bharat Heavy Electricals (2.36%), Hero Motocorp (1.31%), I T C (1.25%), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (1.14%), G A I L (India) (1.03%), and Coal India (0.80%).
On the other hand, Tata Power Company (2.17%), I C I C I Bank (1.93%), H D F C Bank (1.87%), Bharti Airtel (1.81%), Reliance Industries (1.39%), and Housing Development Finance Corporation (1.37%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Midcap settled higher 37.10 points or 0.54% at6,970 however the Bse Smallcap dropped7.66 points or 0.11% at 7,074.07 at the closing.The major gainers in the BSE Midcap were Allcargo Logistics (1.5%), A B G Shipyard (0.41%), Amtek Auto (0.33%), Aban Offshore (0.16%) and Alstom India (0.03%).The major losers in the BSE Smallcap were Genesys International Corporation (5.83%), Ahluwalia Contracts (India) (1.44%), Adhunik Metaliks (1.19%), A2Z Maintenance & Engineering Services (0.86%) and Action Construction Equipment (0.8%).
Sectors in Limelight
The Oil & Gas index was at 9,359.16, down by 39.1 points or by 0.42%. The major losers were Reliance Industries (1.39%), Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (1.16%) and Cairn India (0.38%).
The Bankex index was at 14,580.26, down by 62.1 points or by 0.42%. The major losers were I C I C I Bank (1.93%) and H D F C Bank (1.87%).
On the other hand, the Realty index was at 2,238.57, up by 30.45 points or by 1.38%. The major gainers were Phoenix Mills (3.71%), Indiabulls Real Estate (2.26%), D L F (1.87%), Parsvnath Developers (1.74%) and Housing Development and Infrastructure (0.72%).
Market breadth was negative with 1,422 advances against 1,444 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
I C I C I Bank topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 1,002.22 million. It was followed by Jet Airways (India) (Rs. 981.25 million), State Bank Of India (Rs. 938.69 million) and Punjab National Bank (Rs. 935.03 million).
The volume chart was led by Suzlon Energy with trades of over 37.63 million shares. It was followed by I F C I (6.74 million), NHPC (6.53 million) and Housing Development and Infrastructure (6.08 million).
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs