Sensex opens near 20,000; ONGC up 6%
24th January 2013 10:18 AM
Indian equities are trading flat with positive bias early trade on Thursday. At 09.17 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 29.14 points or 0.15% at 20,055.75 with 20 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading lower by 8.10 points or 0.13% at 6,046.20 with 20 components falling.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened flat with a decline of 9.41 points or 0.05% at 20,017.20, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a fall of 8.10 points or 0.13%, at 6,046.20.
Oil & Natural Gas Corporation contributed rise of 48.4 points in the Sensex. It was followed by I T C (12.75 points), Infosys (11.48 points), Reliance Industries (7.86 points) and Tata Consultancy Services (3.7 points).
However, Tata Motors contributed fall of 59.36 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Reliance Communications (4.1 points), Mahindra & Mahindra (3.87 points), Sterlite Industries (India) (2.34 points) and Hero Motocorp (2.24 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (5.69%), Wipro (1.22%), G A I L (India) (0.97%), Coal India (0.94%), Infosys (0.72%), and I T C (0.68%).
On the other hand, Tata Motors (8.11%), Sterlite Industries (India) (1.15%), Hero Motocorp (1.07%), Mahindra & Mahindra (0.80%), Jindal Steel & Power (0.70%), and Dr Reddy'S Laboratories (0.59%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.Market Breadth
Market breadth was positive with 350 advances against 194 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Tata Motors topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 83.34 million. It was followed by eClerx Services (Rs. 70.69 million), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (Rs. 37.69 million) and Deccan Cements (Rs. 37.27 million).
The volume chart was led by Housing Development and Infrastructure with trades of over 0.33 million shares. It was followed by Tata Motors (0.29 million), Reliance Communications (0.19 million) and Dazzel Confindive (0.18 million).
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today