Sensex trades up 147 points; L&T, BHEL, M&M rise
02nd November 2012 11:18 AM
Indian equities gained on Friday. At 10.08 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 147.27 points or 0.79% at 18,708.97 with 26 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 47.15 points or 0.84% at 5,692.20 with 46 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 130.45 points or 0.70% at 18,692.15, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 51.30 points or 0.91%, at 5,696.35.
I C I C I Bank contributed rise of 23.31 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Larsen & Toubro (20.4 points), I T C (19.98 points), Infosys (10.36 points) and Mahindra & Mahindra (8.1 points).
However, Hindustan Unilever contributed fall of 4.4 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Bharti Airtel (3.81 points), Tata Motors (0.66 points), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.17 points) and Maruti Suzuki India (0.55 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Larsen & Toubro (1.83%), Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.72%), Mahindra & Mahindra (1.69%), I C I C I Bank (1.59%), Hero Motocorp (1.51%), and Bajaj Auto (1.45%).
On the other hand, Bharti Airtel (0.91%), Hindustan Unilever (0.62%), Tata Motors (0.11%), and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.05%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The Capital Goods index was at 11,096.14, up by 171.59 points or by 1.57%. The major gainers were Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.72%), BEML (1.55%), Crompton Greaves (0.77%), Bharat Electronics (0.68%) and Alstom India (0.57%).
The Realty index was at 1,830.50, up by 27.11 points or by 1.50%. The major gainers were D B Realty (3.52%), Godrej Properties (1.77%), Anant Raj Industries (1.37%), D L F (1.3%) and Indiabulls Real Estate (0.91%).
The Power index was at 1,994.65, up by 22.55 points or by 1.14%. The major gainers were Reliance Infrastructure (1.75%), Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.72%), G M R Infrastructure (1.72%), Adani Power (1.42%) and Crompton Greaves (0.77%).
The PSU index was at 7,198.53, up by 74.87 points or by 1.05%. The major gainers were Andhra Bank(1.05%), Bank Of Baroda (0.73%), Bank Of India (0.72%), Allahabad Bank (0.48%) and Balmer Lawrie & Company (0.44%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,371 advances against 526 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Aditya Birla Nuvo topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 275.45 million. It was followed by Jindal Steel & Power (Rs. 242.66 million), Fresenius Kabi Oncology (Rs. 143.24 million) and Tata Steel (Rs. 138.36 million).
The volume chart was led by Ashok Leyland with trades of over 5.44 million shares. It was followed by Kingfisher Airlines (3.58 million), Fresenius Kabi Oncology (1.49 million) and Lanco Infratech (1.42 million).
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today
- Congress raking up secularism issue to hide its failures: BJP