Markets may see flat to negative opening
22nd October 2012 09:18 AM
Indian equities are likely to open flat on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012. SGX Nifty is trading at 5,666.5 (07.37 a.m.), 12.5 points lower than Friday's closeof 5,679.
Asian stocks fell as Japan's exports dropped at the fastest pace since last year's post-earthquake slump amid a global economic slowdown and a territorial dispute with China. Japanese benchmark index Nikkei 225 fell 84.58 points, or 0.94%, to trade at 8,918.10.
Oil pricesfell to USD 90 a barrel Friday after disappointing U.S. corporate earnings and a drop in existing home sales sparked worries again about the global economy. Benchmark oil fell USD 2.05 to finish at USD 90.05 a barrel in New York. Brent crude, which is used to price international varieties of oil, dropped USD 2.28, or 2%, to end at USD 110.14 a barrel in London.
US stocks extended losses on Friday, with major indexes down more than 1%, after disappointing results from Microsoft and General Electric. The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 205.43 points, or 1.52%, to 13,343.51.
European stocks fell on Friday after rising to their highest valuation since 2010, and as European Union leaders failed to discuss further aid for Spain. UK's benchmark index FTSE 100 declined 20.90 points, or 0.35%, to end at 5,896.15.
In the spot market, the Dollar Index decreased 0.05% to 79.57 (21:53 ET).
World commodity prices fell on Friday with the decrease in Reuters Jefferies CRB Index by 0.87%.
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- IPL ban, takeover of BCCI sought
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Names of UPA ministers will surface in IPL spot-fixing: Swamy
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling