Sensex rebounds; Realty, Bankex, Auto lead
18th October 2012 01:18 PM
Indian markets gained momentum on the back of buying interest seen in index heavyweights. Realty, banking and auto stocks were leading the sectoral space.
At 11.55 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 132.14 points or 0.71% at 18,742.91 with 27 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 39.60 points or 0.70% at 5,699.85 with 46 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 42.83 points or 0.23% at 18,653.60, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 15.05 points or 0.27%, at 5,675.30.
ITC contributed rise of 16.62 points in the Sensex. It was followed by ICICI Bank (15.54 points), Larsen & Toubro (12.18 points), State Bank Of India (11.93 points) and HDFC Bank (11.8 points).
However, Bharti Airtel contributed fall of 5.22 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (3.96 points), Grasim Industries (2.11 points), Wipro (1.05 points) and Reliance Communications (0.84 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Power Company (3.28%), Tata Motors (1.68%), State Bank Of India (1.67%), Hindalco Industries (1.54%), Larsen & Toubro (1.13%), and Hero Motocorp (1.09%).
On the other hand, Bharti Airtel (1.28%), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (1.13%), and Wipro (0.41%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Midcap and Smallcap index rose 0.94% and 0.64% respectively.
Sectors in Limelight
The Realty index was at 1,851.13, up by 40.34 points or by 2.23%. The major gainers were Anant Raj Industries (6.51%), DLF (2.79%), Indiabulls Real Estate (2.34%), DB Realty (1.44%) and Godrej Properties (0.54%).
The Bankex index was at 13,210.90, up by 174.76 points or by 1.34%. The major gainers were Bank Of Baroda(2.92%), Bank Of India (2.22%), Canara Bank (1.92%), Federal Bank (1.91%) and HDFC Bank (0.84%).
The Power index was at 2,050.63, up by 25.56 points or by 1.26%. The major gainers were Adani Power (2.03%), Crompton Greaves (1.53%), Reliance Infrastructure (1.5%), A B B (0.68%) and Bharat Heavy Electricals (0.47%).
The IPO index was at 1,675.14, up by 19.58 points or by 1.18%. The major gainers were C.Mahendra Exports (11.5%), A2Z Maintenance & Engineering Services (2.06%), Acropetal Technologies (0.64%), Bedmutha Industries (0.55%) and Ashoka Buildcon (0.02%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,514 advances against 914 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
State Bank Of India topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 527.76 million. It was followed by Reliance Industries (Rs. 204.95 million), D L F (Rs. 202.80 million) and United Spirits (Rs. 200.76 million).
The volume chart was led by TV18 Broadcast with trades of over 4.52 million shares. It was followed by JSW ISPAT Steel (4.05 million), Lanco Infratech (3.61 million) and Cals Refineries (3.47 million).
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- The Woolwich 'beheading' is straight out of al-Qaeda's terror manual
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Dalit discrimination 'forms' in colleges
- Marine turtles giving Kerala a miss
- New mango named Nirbhaya after gang-rape victim
- Shortage of essential TB drug heightens risk to patients, others
- There is betting link even in Sree's company
- Sahara Group accuses the BCCI of Betrayal
- Sushma upset at Modi role, walks out of BJP meet
- Bride-to-be found with head smashed
- Police summon CSK boss on spot-fixing
- 56,700 Indians face deportation from Saudi Arabia: Khurshid
- Top LeT militant killed in encounter
- CBSE kids in fix as colleges begin enrolling