Sensex flat with positive bias; Bharti, JSPL, Sun Pharm drop
18th October 2012 11:18 AM
Indian equities are trading flat with positive bias onThursday. At 10.06 a.m, the Sensex was trading up 14.69 points or 0.08% at 18,625.46 with 19 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 3.25 points or 0.06% at 5,663.50 with 34 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 42.83 points or 0.23% at 18,653.60, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 15.05 points or 0.27%, at 5,675.30.
ICICI Bank contributed rise of 13.55 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Tata Motors (4.66 points), Tata Power Company (4.52 points), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (3.86 points) and Larsen & Toubro (3.33 points).
However, Bharti Airtel contributed fall of 8.12 points in the Sensex. It was followed by I T C (6.99 points), Reliance Industries (6.38 points), Infosys (4.49 points) and Grasim Industries (3.16 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Power Company (2.27%), Hero Motocorp (0.99%), I C I C I Bank (0.96%), Tata Motors (0.77%), Hindalco Industries (0.73%), and Bajaj Auto (0.72%).
On the other hand, Bharti Airtel (2%), Jindal Steel & Power (1.43%), Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.85%), Wipro (0.62%), I T C (0.38%), and Reliance Industries (0.37%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Mid & Small-cap Space
The BSE Mid and small caps outperformed their larger counterparts gaining 0.42% and 0.34% respectively. The major gainers in the BSE Midcap were Allcargo Logistics (2.29%), Aban Offshore (1.22%), Amara Raja Batteries (1.12%), Alstom India (0.88%) and Allahabad Bank (0.4%).The major gainers in the BSE Smallcap were A2Z Maintenance & Engineering Services (2.37%), Trident (1.69%), Action Construction Equipment (0.4%), Aegis Logistics (0.3%) and Reliance MediaWorks (0.13%).
Sectors in Limelight
The Realty index was at 1,823.61, up by 12.82 points or by 0.71%. The major gainers were Anant Raj Industries (3.86%), D L F (0.97%), Indiabulls Real Estate (0.83%), D B Realty (0.23%) and Godrej Properties (0.03%).
The Auto index was at 10,259.89, up by 60.09 points or by 0.59%. The major gainers were Cummins India (1.8%), Exide Industries (1.39%), Hero Motocorp (0.99%), Bajaj Auto (0.72%) and Bharat Forge (0.26%).
On the other hand, the TECk index was at 3,300.38, down by 8.78 points or by 0.27%. The major losers were Bharti Airtel (2%), Mphasis (1.37%), Deccan Chronicle Holdings (1.32%), Idea Cellular (0.62%) and Infosys (0.33%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,121 advances against 670 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
United Spirits topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 125.87 million. It was followed by State Bank Of India (Rs. 119.02 million), TV18 Broadcast (Rs. 93.22 million) and D L F (Rs. 67.26 million).
The volume chart was led by TV18 Broadcast with trades of over 3.07 million shares. It was followed by Kingfisher Airlines (1.49 million), Eveready Industries (India) (1.35 million) and Cals Refineries (1.28 million).
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Four years of UPA-II
- Nine years as PM: What will be Manmohan Singh's legacy?
- Maharashtra’s aid to digitise rare manuscripts in Thanjavur
- 'Climate change may spell disaster for coastal economy'
- Lanka’s woman Thavil players fading away
- Pakistan's answer to electricity shortages: Don't wear socks
- All dead, no vultures fly in Andhra now!
- Incredible India! Cuppa at Rs 1,200 is Chiru’s idea of sustainable tourism
- Suriya storms ahead of Vijay, Ajith online
- Chennai Super Kings beat Mumbai Indians, reach IPL finals
- BSNL Ernakulam posts Rs 390-crore turnover
- Meghalaya's CMJ University faces probe after awarding suspicious PhDs
- Vindu Dara Singh nabbed for IPL scam links
- Chandy aborted Chennithala’s Cabinet berth: NSS
- Yasin Malik’s support for Sri Lanka Tamils a sham