Sensex settles marginally higher; FMCG, Oil & Gas rise
15th October 2012 04:18 PM
Indian marketssettled marginally higheron Monday. At the close, the benchmark 30-share index, BSE Sensex gained 32.96 or 0.18% at 18,708.14 with 19 components posting rise. Meanwhile, the broad based NSE Nifty went up by 9 points or 0.16% at 5,685.05 with 27 components posting rise (provisionally-updated as on 3.31 pm).
I T C contributed rise of 18.16 points in the Sensex. It was followed by I C I C I Bank (11.9 points), Reliance Industries (8.4 points), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (7.32 points) and Bharat Heavy Electricals (5.63 points).
However, Infosys contributed fall of 17.06 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Larsen & Toubro (9.91 points), Tata Consultancy Services (7.56 points), Maruti Suzuki India (6.12 points) and Tata Motors (2.79 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Bharat Heavy Electricals (2.26%), Cipla (1.69%), Hindalco Industries (1.61%), Bharti Airtel (1.15%), Tata Power Company (1.08%), and Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (1.05%).
On the other hand, Maruti Suzuki India (2.62%), Infosys (1.24%), Sterlite Industries (India) (1.12%), Larsen & Toubro (0.92%), Tata Consultancy Services (0.84%), and Coal India (0.72%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The FMCG index was at 5,787.39, up by 37.55 points or by 0.65%. The major gainers were United Breweries (1.14%), I T C (0.99%), Colgate-Palmolive (India) (0.97%), Hindustan Unilever (0.77%) and Godrej Consumer Products (0.63%).
The Oil & Gas index was at 8,589.14, up by 45.74 points or by 0.54%. The major gainers were Gujarat State Petronet (1.69%), Oil & Natural Gas Corporation (1.05%), Cairn India (0.92%), Petronet LNG (0.43%) and G A I L (India) (0.17%).
The IPO index was at 1,661.61, up by 7.88 points or by 0.48%. The major gainers were M and B Switchgears (4.99%), Claris Lifesciences (2.59%), C.Mahendra Exports (1.96%), Innoventive Industries (1.63%) and L&T Finance Holdings (0.68%).
On the other hand, the Consumer Durables index was at 7,127.19, down by 67.84 points or by 0.94%. The major losers were T T K Prestige (5.43%), Titan Industries (1.42%), Gitanjali Gems (0.59%), V I P Industries (0.49%) and Blue Star (0.45%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,535 advances against 1,366 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
United Spirits topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 1,298.95 million. It was followed by State Bank Of India (Rs. 804.65 million), Infosys (Rs. 570.22 million) and Housing Development and Infrastructure (Rs. 446.51 million).
The volume chart was led by Cals Refineries with trades of over 14.64 million shares. It was followed by Kingfisher Airlines (7.10 million), Unitech (6.84 million) and TV18 Broadcast (4.60 million).
- UPA-II anniversary: No honest appraisal
- Woolwich attack provokes anti-Muslim backlash across UK
- Bangladesh allows transit for foodgrains for Northeast India
- Increasing friction between the Chandy and Chennithala factions
- 'Data shows gambling rampant in India'
- Madrasi heart for Pakistani Madrassa teacher
- Somayagam returns after 48 years
- Not a drop of Cauvery for people on its banks
- Raids on six officials reveals huge stash
- Now, Delhi police go after eight Kings XI Punjab players
- Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan arrested
- CBSE results likely to be out in 4-5 days
- Police get Gurunath, Srinivasan squirms
- Unswayed city backs CSK’s final ‘fix’ture
- Gurunath Meiyappan neither CSK owner nor Team Principal: India Cements