Market turns positive; Sensex climbs 150 points
11th October 2012 03:18 PM
Indian equities bounced back sharply in afternoon trade on Thursday. At 2.15 pm, the Sensex was trading up 149.78 points or 0.80% at 18,780.88 with 25 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 51.45 points or 0.91% at 5,703.60 with 42 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened flat with a decline of 3.73 points or 0.02% at 18,627.37, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 11.35 points or 0.20%, at 5,663.50.
Infosys contributed rise of 23.31 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Larsen & Toubro (15.85 points), Housing Development Finance Corporation (12.63 points), H D F C Bank (12.27 points) and I C I C I Bank (12.04 points).
However, Mahindra & Mahindra contributed fall of 3.07 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Maruti Suzuki India (2.14 points), Hero Motocorp (1.15 points), Wipro (0.23 points) and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.09 points).
Major gainers in the 30-share index were Bharti Airtel (2.25%), Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.86%), Tata Motors (1.85%), Tata Steel (1.57%), Infosys (1.56%), and Larsen & Toubro (1.53%).
On the other hand, Maruti Suzuki India (0.96%), Mahindra & Mahindra (0.70%), G A I L (India) (0.53%), Hero Motocorp (0.51%), and Wipro (0.08%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The Realty index was at 1,865.51, up by 62.34 points or by 3.46%. The major gainers were Indiabulls Real Estate (4.12%), Housing Development and Infrastructure (3.42%), D L F (2.42%), Anant Raj Industries (1.84%) and Godrej Properties (0.22%).
The Capital Goods index was at 11,149.98, up by 150.02 points or by 1.36%. The major gainers were Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.86%), Alstom India (1.09%), A B B (0.68%), BEML (0.44%) and Bharat Electronics (0.22%).
The IT index was at 5,917.51, up by 73.38 points or by 1.26%. The major gainers were H C L Technologies (1.86%), Infosys (1.56%), Tech Mahindra (1.19%), Mphasis (0.9%) and Oracle Financial Services Software (0.84%).
The TECk index was at 3,404.26, up by 41.40 points or by 1.23%. The major gainers were Bharti Airtel (2.25%), Reliance MediaWorks (1.6%), Mphasis (0.9%), Oracle Financial Services Software (0.84%) and Idea Cellular (0.63%).
Market breadth was positive with 1,551 advances against 1,181 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
State Bank Of India topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 1,061.87 million. It was followed by Yes Bank (Rs. 794.82 million), United Spirits (Rs. 568.86 million) and Reliance Capital (Rs. 462.89 million).
The volume chart was led by Unitech with trades of over 9.52 million shares. It was followed by Cals Refineries (7.34 million), Lanco Infratech (5.82 million) and Firstsource Solutions (5.35 million).
- For team Rahul, it’s good politics that will yield rich dividends for poor Indians
- Sleepless nights, no baths for Sreesanth
- 'Kiran visited Delhi 76 times since he became CM'
- Bangalore scores low on medical tourism
- ‘Lack of anthropologists hits welfare policymaking’
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- DRDO chief expresses concern over FDI
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner