Sensex falls over 90 pts in opening trade
10th October 2012 10:18 AM
Indian markets dropped in early trade on Wednesday erasing earlier gains. At 09.18 a.m., the Sensex was trading down 98.45 points or 0.52% at 18,694.91 with 27 components falling. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading lower by 31.85 points or 0.56% at 5,672.75 with 44 components falling.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a decline of 94.17 points or 0.50% at 18,699.19, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a fall of 33.45 points or 0.59%, at 5,671.15.
I C I C I Bank contributed fall of 13.56 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Infosys (13.05 points), Reliance Industries (11.98 points), Larsen & Toubro (10.54 points) and State Bank Of India (7.25 points).
However, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries contributed rise of 1.63 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Tata Steel (0.6 points), Hindustan Unilever (0.12 points), ACC (0.15 points) and Tata Power Company (0.68 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.50%), Cipla (0.40%), and Tata Steel (0.18%).
On the other hand, Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.50%), Bharti Airtel (1.24%), Hindalco Industries (1.18%), Sterlite Industries (India) (1.08%), State Bank Of India (1.04%), and Larsen & Toubro (1.03%) were the biggest losers in the Sensex.
Market breadth was negative with 242 advances against 324 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
Vakrangee Softwares topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 19.01 million. It was followed by United Spirits (Rs. 14.27 million), State Bank Of India (Rs. 11.46 million) and Tata Steel (Rs. 9.17 million).
The volume chart was led by Vakrangee Softwares with trades of over 0.36 million shares. It was followed by G C V Services (0.12 million), Sanraa Media (0.10 million) and Bampsl Securities (0.10 million).
- India's bleeding insurgencies: Lessons from Latin America
- Western Ghat report has imperialist mindset: Ecologist
- Lot more to India-China ties than border stand-off: Experts
- Major industrial conglomerates making a beeline for Haryana
- Man kidnapped 23 years ago finds kin thanks to Google Maps
- Bangalore's techies start 'brand tattoos' craze
- Indian circuses struggle to adapt after court bans
- Want hassle-free tatkal ticket? Personally visit special counters
- Rs 8K-crore plan for upgrading ICVs of Army
- Man arrested for attempt to attack TV host Ranjini Haridas
- The toxic truth about ripe mangoes
- Shift me from ‘Anda’ cell, pleads Sanjay Dutt
- Sreesanth, 2 other players 'confess'; more players under scanner
- Indefinite strike leaves city parched; mineral water bottles fly off shop shelves
- Jiju Janardhanan’s house in Kannur wears deserted look
- Tamil Brahmi script dating to 500 BC found near Erode