Sensex gains over 160 pts in early trade
28th September 2012 10:18 AM
Indian equities gained in early trade on Friday. At 09.19 a.m., the Sensex was trading up 161.42 points or 0.87% at 18,740.92 with 29 components gaining. Meanwhile, the Nifty was trading higher by 35.30 points or 0.62% at 5,684.80 with 48 components gaining.
The 30-share benchmark index, BSE Sensex opened with a gain of 125.48 points or 0.68% at 18,704.98, while the broad based NSE Nifty started with a rise of 35.30 points or 0.62%, at 5,684.80.
Reliance Industries contributed rise of 15.33 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Housing Development Finance Corporation (13.1 points), Tata Motors (11.71 points), Larsen & Toubro (11.11 points) and I C I C I Bank (10.7 points).
However, ACC contributed fall of 0.68 points in the Sensex. It was followed by Sun Pharmaceutical Industries (0.84 points), D L F (1.08 points), Reliance Infrastructure (1.31 points) and Grasim Industries (1.79 points).
Biggest gainers in the 30-share index were Tata Power Company (2.53%), Tata Motors (1.91%), Wipro (1.89%), Tata Steel (1.83%), Hindalco Industries (1.76%), and Maruti Suzuki India (1.43%).
On the other hand, and Cipla (0.62%) were the major losers in the Sensex.
Sectors in Limelight
The Power index was at 2,049.58, up by 28.45 points or by 1.41%. The major gainers were Adani Power (1.99%), G M R Infrastructure (1.66%), Crompton Greaves (1.44%), Reliance Infrastructure (1.29%) and Bharat Heavy Electricals (1.23%).
The Consumer Durables index was at 6,912.37, up by 84.06 points or by 1.23%. The major gainers were Titan Industries (1.57%), T T K Prestige (1.4%), V I P Industries (1.25%) and Gitanjali Gems (1%).
The Realty index was at 1,876.33, up by 22.40 points or by 1.21%. The major gainers were Housing Development and Infrastructure (1.77%), Indiabulls Real Estate (1.7%), Godrej Properties (1.25%), Anant Raj Industries (1.12%) and D L F (1%).
The Metal index was at 10,505.62, up by 120.19 points or by 1.16%. The major gainers were Hindalco Industries (1.76%), Hindustan Zinc (1.23%), Jindal Steel & Power (1.2%), Bhushan Steel (0.56%) and Coal India (0.52%).
Market breadth was positive with 512 advances against 77 declines.
Value and Volume Toppers
United Spirits topped the value chart on the BSE with a turnover of Rs. 39.04 million. It was followed by State Bank Of India (Rs. 24.55 million), Berger Paints India (Rs. 17.65 million) and Cairn India (Rs. 15.73 million).
The volume chart was led by Kingfisher Airlines with trades of over 0.74 million shares. It was followed by Lanco Infratech (0.29 million), Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (0.15 million) and GVK Power & Infrastructure (0.13 million).
- You are aiming high, but beware of marketers selling you as an FMCG
- With Advani visit, Modi begins charm offensive
- Social media goes martial over High Court's marital ruling
- Slum removal scheme tweaked to make it more effective
- Ready to tune in the lord, catch him up on Twitter
- 95 per cent stolen goods not recovered in Kerala, says NCRB
- Karnataka MLAs were frugal in their poll spending
- Now talcum powder linked to ovarian cancer
- Indian Coast Guards help rescue 26 crew from shipwreck near Yemen
- Thousands missing near Kedarnath shrine
- Army Major captures 'UFO' in Kerala
- Flaws in Koodankulam plant
- Prices of 348 drugs to come down drastically from May 15
- Learnt to embrace simplicity from SRK: Puvisha
- Callgate: Doctors were prime target for Biju, Saritha Nair
- Congress to vote in Nitish government's favour today